You Be The Judge
The Judging Criteria
Once you've created a wonderful display of all the Shortlisted books, what's next?
Why not set up your own panel of experts for judging the Book Of the Year at your school or library? What a great reason to read books!
The five book categories in the CBCA Book of the Year Awards are:
Older Readers, Younger Readers, Early Childhood, Picture Books and (Eve Pownall) Information Books
The CBCA judges use a set of criteria or standards to determine which books will win awards in each category. The following information pages will help you learn more about the categories and the judging criteria.
You Be the Judge - Picture Book of the Year (download PDF resource)
Awards will be made to outstanding books of the Picture Book genre in which the author and illustrator achieve artistic and literary unity, or, in wordless picture books, where the story, theme or concept is unified through illustrations. As a general guideline, the judges may consider the relative success of a picture book in balancing and
As a general guideline, the judges may consider the relative success of a picture book in balancing and harmonising the following elements: (give a score out of 10 for each one)
- artistic style and graphic excellence (including typography and its suitability for the implied readership)
- effective use of media and technique
- colour, line, shape, texture
- relationship between illustration and text
- consistency of style, characterisation, information and setting
- clarity, appropriateness and aesthetic appeal of illustrations
- quality of book design, production, printing and binding
- appeal to the child reader.