Office Bearers for 2016
PRESIDENT: Katrina McKelvey
VICE PRESIDENT: Kirrili Lonergan
SECRETARY: Gwynne Jones
TREASURER: Amanda Shirley
COMMUNICATIONS/PUBLICITY OFFICER: Julie Swane and Renee Price
EVENTS COORDINATOR: TBC
GENERAL COMMITTEE: Ruth Higginbottom, Cynthia Hyde, Linda Rigney and Liz Anelli
NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS
- We have our very own sub-branch Facebook page.
- Search for 'CBCA (NSW) Newcastle Sub-branch' to find us.
MEETINGS FOR 2016
Meeting 1 (AGM and General): 10th February
Meeting 2: 16th March
Meeting 3: 4th May
Meeting 4: 15th June
Meeting 5: 14th September
Meeting 6 (Planning Meeting for 2017): 26th October
Christmas Party: Tuesday, 23rd November
Our LUNCH WITH THE STARS event will be back by popular demand!Date: Tuesday, 13th September, 2016
Full 2016 Calendar available via email (email@example.com)
New members always welcome.
- Katrina McKelvey (children's author) :www.katrinamckelvey.com or http://www.facebook.com/katrinamckelveyauthor
- Jess Black (children's author): www.jessblack.net
- Deborah Kelly (children's author) http://www.deborahkelly.com.au or www.facebook.com/DeborahKellyChildrensAuthor
- MacLean's Booksellers : www.macleans.indies.com.au or Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/macleansbooksellers
- Kaz Delaney (YA and children's author) : www.kazdelaney.com
- Kerri Lane (YA and children's author) : www.kerrilane.com
- Kirrili Lonergan (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/kirrililonerganillustrator
- Susan Whelan (children's author) : www.susanwhelan.com.au
- Gwynneth Jones (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/gwynnejonesillustrator
- Liz Anelli (illustrator) : http://www.lizanelliillustration.com or http://www.facebook.com/lizanelliillustrator
- Zoe Disher (children's author) : www.zoedisher.com.au
We have been very busy over the last few months preparing for our second 'Lunch with the Stars' event, hosting our 4th sub-branch meeting, attending our local Book Week Awards Judge's presentation, and getting ready for Book Week.
On Wednesday, 15th June, our sub-branch had a very informative chat led by Amanda Shirley (owner of MacLean's Booksellers, Hamilton) and Susan Whelan (KBR Managing Editor and children's author) about the children's publishing industry and how to keep up with all the new releases.
Amanda talked to us about how she uses reps from publishing companies to guide her buying for the bookshop. Susan gave us an insight into how KBR (kids-bookreview.com) selects what books they review for their website and how they divide the workload between the KBR team.
Both ladies love to read and have to juggle reading for pleasure with a very busy family and business schedule, so they also gave us tips on how they choose which books they dive into for their personal reading.
LUNCH WITH THE STARS
Planning for our Lunch with the Stars began early June. Our large committee (lucky us) have met several times to make this year's event even better than our first.
We have a stellar line up of local authors and illustrators attending including: Gwynne Jones, Jess Black, Karen Hughes, Paul Russell, Liz Anelli, Deb Kelly, Susan Whelan, Lynn Jenkin, Renee Price, Anthony Wood, Lizzie Wilcock, Jenny Blackford and Katrina McKelvey.
Our VP, Kirrili Lonergan will host this event. And our special guest is former children's publisher and author, Sue Whiting.
This event sold out in 24 hours and we can't wait to have an amazing time with some of our local talented students. We love the support we receive from our local schools.
While the planning for this event is still underway, many of our local children's book creators are planning for school and public library visits in and around Book Week.
Lunch with the Stars 2015 local authors
Cathie Tasker visited Wallsend Library on Tuesday, 7th June to help us celebrate this year's CBCA Book Week Awards shortlisted titles. Cathie, Julie Swane, Mala Scorse and I spoke to a room full of local librarians highlighting the uniqueness of each title.
Congratulations to all the shortlisted CBCA Book Week Awards creators and publishers. We wait in anticipation to hear who the winners are but we feel all the books are so special in their own way.
Enjoy celebrating all things books during Book Week.
And finally, congratulations to the CBCA National Conference organisation committee for organising, presenting and delivering a magnificent program. What an experience it was!
Katrina McKelvey - Newcastle Sub-branch President