Office Bearers for 2016
PRESIDENT: Katrina McKelvey
VICE PRESIDENT: Kirrili Lonergan
SECRETARY: Gwynne Jones
TREASURER: Amanda Shirley
COMMUNICATIONS/PUBLICITY OFFICER: Julie Swane and Renee Price
EVENTS COORDINATOR: TBC
GENERAL COMMITTEE: Ruth Higginbottom, Cynthia Hyde, Linda Rigney and Liz Anelli
NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS
- We have our very own sub-branch Facebook page.
- Search for 'CBCA (NSW) Newcastle Sub-branch' to find us.
MEETINGS FOR 2017
Meeting 1 and AGM: Wednesday, 22nd February at St Therese's New Lambton. 6:30pm meet and greet for a 7pm start.
Meeting 2: Wednesday, 22nd March at Hunter Valley Grammar School, Ashtonfield. 6:30pm meet and greet for a 7pm start.
Meeting 3: Wednesday, 3rd May at Charlestown South Public School. 6:30pm meet and greet for a 7pm start.
Meeting 4: Wednesday, 7th June at Belmont Library. 6:30pm meet and greet for a 7pm start.
Meeting 5: Wednesday, 13th September at Newcastle Library. 6:30pm meet and greet for a 7pm start.
Planning Meeting: Wednesday, 25th October at 7:30pm. (executive and general committee members only)
Our Christmas Party is on Wednesday, 29th November. Further details TBC.
Our third annual 'Lunch with the Stars' will be early September. Further details TBC.
For a copy of our full calendar or to be on our email list, please send a message to Katrina.(email@example.com)
New members always welcome.
- Katrina McKelvey (children's author) :www.katrinamckelvey.com or http://www.facebook.com/katrinamckelveyauthor
- Jess Black (children's author): www.jessblack.net
- Deborah Kelly (children's author) http://www.deborahkelly.com.au or www.facebook.com/DeborahKellyChildrensAuthor
- MacLean's Booksellers : www.macleans.indies.com.au or Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/macleansbooksellers
- Kaz Delaney (YA and children's author) : www.kazdelaney.com
- Kerri Lane (YA and children's author) : www.kerrilane.com
- Kirrili Lonergan (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/kirrililonerganillustrator
- Susan Whelan (children's author) : www.susanwhelan.com.au
- Gwynneth Jones (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/gwynnejonesillustrator
- Liz Anelli (illustrator) : http://www.lizanelliillustration.com or http://www.facebook.com/lizanelliillustrator
- Zoe Disher (children's author) : www.zoedisher.com.au
Welcome to a new year of creativity and we hope you find time to jump into new worlds hidden inside great books!
Some very committed members of our local sub-branch met late last year to plan our events and meetings for 2017 (Meeting details above this report). Here's a sneak peek of what we'll get up to.
Firstly, at our AGM, Reena Bilen from “The Mummy Project” will talk to us about how authors, illustrators, librarians and schools can use social media more efficiently.
During our second meeting, we’ll hear about all the fun planned for the Schools Program and Main Program of the Newcastle Writers Festival in March/April. Some of us will be volunteering and participating as we do each year. We can't wait!
Then, we’ll listen to Ross from ‘Books 4 Outback’ about his local book donation program and get involved as much as we can.
Later in the year, Lake Macquarie Libraries will demonstrate their new 3D printer and show us how it prints 3D books for the vision-impaired. Amazing technology!
Finally, we’ll visit the refurbished Newcastle Region Library after its extensive renovations throughout this year and experience a guided tour highlighting its new and exciting capabilities.
Throw in a heap of book launches and other local children’s literature events and we have the year covered.
We plan to host our third annual ‘Lunch with the Stars’ event again this year. There’s no news to release yet but we plan to hold this event early September. Click here to read a blog post about our event last year.
We ended 2016 with a bang at our Christmas party held on in November at The Prince of Wales Hotel, Merewether. We ate great food, danced and sang to live music. We also challenged each other to some fun children’s literature trivia. Oodles of raffle prizes and lots of fun made for a wonderful night.
Photo: Jenni Goodman, Susan Abrahams, Kirrili Lonergan, Natalie Petrohelos, Lynn Jenkins
Photo: Renee Price and her partner, Aaron
Some of us attended the Northern Sydney Sub-branch Christmas party and what an event it was. They sure know how to host a wonderful party. We felt very privileged to be able to be part of such an amazing night. Some of us walked away with beautiful raffle prizes.
Photo: Belinda Murrell, Margaret Wild and Julie Vivas at the CBCA NSW Northern Sydney Christmas Party
In 2017, we look forward to supporting the NSW Branch and the events they have planned. And we look forward to seeing what other sub-branches get up to while celebrating and promoting great literature in their local areas.
Our new sub-branch logo will be released soon. Watch thus space!
Have a wonderful 2017!
Katrina McKelvey - Newcastle Sub-branch President