Office Bearers for 2016
PRESIDENT: Katrina McKelvey
VICE PRESIDENT: Kirrili Lonergan
SECRETARY: Gwynne Jones
TREASURER: Amanda Shirley
COMMUNICATIONS/PUBLICITY OFFICER: Julie Swane and Renee Price
EVENTS COORDINATOR: TBC
GENERAL COMMITTEE: Ruth Higginbottom, Cynthia Hyde, Linda Rigney and Liz Anelli
NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS
- We have our very own sub-branch Facebook page.
- Search for 'CBCA (NSW) Newcastle Sub-branch' to find us.
MEETINGS FOR 2017
Our Planning Meeting for 2017 will be on Wed, 26th October. We look forward to planning exciting things for our local sub-branch members in 2017.
Our Christmas Party is on Tuesday, 23rd November at 6:30pm at The Prince of Wales Hotel, Merewether. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th Nov.
Full 2017 Calendar available via email soon (email@example.com)
New members always welcome.
- Katrina McKelvey (children's author) :www.katrinamckelvey.com or http://www.facebook.com/katrinamckelveyauthor
- Jess Black (children's author): www.jessblack.net
- Deborah Kelly (children's author) http://www.deborahkelly.com.au or www.facebook.com/DeborahKellyChildrensAuthor
- MacLean's Booksellers : www.macleans.indies.com.au or Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/macleansbooksellers
- Kaz Delaney (YA and children's author) : www.kazdelaney.com
- Kerri Lane (YA and children's author) : www.kerrilane.com
- Kirrili Lonergan (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/kirrililonerganillustrator
- Susan Whelan (children's author) : www.susanwhelan.com.au
- Gwynneth Jones (illustrator) : http://www.facebook.com/gwynnejonesillustrator
- Liz Anelli (illustrator) : http://www.lizanelliillustration.com or http://www.facebook.com/lizanelliillustrator
- Zoe Disher (children's author) : www.zoedisher.com.au
We increased this event from ten to fourteen tables this year and we sold out in less than 24 hrs. Hunter Schools are so supportive of what we do.
Our LWS committee, Kirrili Lonergan, Amanda Shirley, Gwynne Jones, Ruth Higginbottom, Val Noake, Deb Kelly, Linda Rigney, Julie Swane and myself helped our sub-branch host it’s best children’s event yet. Fourteen schools from as far as Tea Gardens helped us celebrate books and Roald Dahl’s 100th birthday at Belmont 16ft Sailing Club.
We provided a lovely booklet for the children to take home full of information about our stars and room for the anticipated gathering of signatures. Thanks to Liz, Kirrili and Gwynne for designing our original cover and thanks to Gwynne for designing the booklet layout.
There were prizes for best decorated tables, winners of the Roald Rahl quiz and lucky seats.
One of the highlights included our illustration battle between Liz Anelli, Gwynne Jones and Kirrili Lonergan. It takes a lot of talent to be ready to draw anything on demand and be entertaining at the same time. Well done, ladies!
Thanks to these enthusiastic schools for participating:
Belmont North PS
Bishop Tyrrell Anglican College
Edgeworth Heights PS
New Lambton PS
St Therese's Primary School New Lambton
Tea Gardens’ PS
Wallsend Sth PS
Thanks to these local stars for hosting a school:
Katrina McKelvey, Sue Whiting, Gwynne Jones, Susan Whelan, Liz Anelli, Renee Price, Paul Russell, Karen Hughes, Jenny Blackford, Deb Kelly, Lizzie Wilcock, Lynn Jenkins, Jess Black, and Anthony Wood.
Thanks to Sue Whiting for traveling from Sydney for the day to be our guest speaker. She had us in the palm of her hands with her captivating story telling.
Thanks to the support of MacLean’s Booksellers in Hamilton for providing a pop-up book shop so the kids could get their hands straight on books by local book creators during our event.
Thanks to our extra volunteers on the day. We love having fairies around to help make sure things run very smoothly: Rachel Mallaby, Val Noake, Linda Rigney.
Thanks to Newcastle and Charlestown Toyota for sponsoring two school to attend who would otherwise be unable to.
Thanks to Belmont 16ft Sailing Club and Lake Macquarie Libraries for your support also.
And thanks to our MC, Kirrili Lonergan who did a wonderful job of keeping our lunch event on time and well presented.
Our planning meeting for 2017 was held on Wednesday, 26th October. We have some very exciting plans for our local members next year.
Our Christmas Party will be on Wednesday, 23rd November at The Prince of Wales, Merewether from 6:30pm. We will be drinking great wine, dancing to fantastic live music provided by local musicians (who are also CBCA members), and eating some of the best pub food in town. We may even play some literary trivia and we will be holding our annual Christmas raffle once more.
Merry Christmas from the Newcastle Sub-branch. We hope this festive season is full of peace, relaxation, great food, friends, family, sunny fun and lots of lovely reading time.
See you in 2017!
Katrina McKelvey - Newcastle Sub-branch President